Mary River Press Services Short Story Prize
CLOSED. For courses and more:
Do you want to polish up your writing skills? Entries are currently open for the Mary River Press Services Short Story Prize worth a total of AU $140. The prize is open to all fiction and non-fiction short story authors writing in English. We seek original short stories between 2000 and 5000 words. All winners will be published on our site.
1st place will receive $100
2nd place will receive $30
3rd place will receive $10
Before entering the Mary River Press Services Prize, all entrants must read the terms and conditions (see below). To enter the competition, entrants must purchase an entry ticket below and fill out the competition form.
Last competition winners:
No first place or third place was awarded, in second place At the Exhibition by Jill Dwyer
Terms and Conditions
- The winner will receive $100.
- The runner-up will receive $30.
- The second runner-up will receive $10.
Who can enter?
- Entries are welcome from authors writing in English anywhere in the world.
- Ages 16 years and over.
How to enter?
- Entries must have two attachments 1. proof of payment and 2. the story (without author identification). These are to be submitted via the competition form.
- Multiple entries are permitted but each must be entered as separate transactions.
- The author’s name must not appear in the story or in the name of the digital file to ensure judging is conducted blind.
- Entrants will receive confirmation of receipt to the email address used when entering.
- By entering you consent to be added to Mary River Press Services subscription list and get news updates by email from time to time.
Formatting your entry:
- Entries must be submitted as Word documents (.doc or .docx).
- The text should be presented in 12 pt font size.
- The pages should be numbered.
- The file name should only include the title of the story. Entrants should not include their own name in the title of the story or the file name.
- Entries must be a single, original story of 2000 to 5000 words.
- Entries must be written in English.
- Entries must be original works of fiction or non-fiction written by an individual author.
- Entries must not infringe upon anyone’s copyright.
- Entries that are deemed to be works of plagiarism will be disqualified.
- Previously published, prize-winning, or broadcast stories will not be accepted.
- Entries must contain nothing obscene, libellous, unlawful, defamatory, or anything Mary River Press Services may deem to be inappropriate.
- Translations are not eligible.
- If entrants subsequently withdraw their entries, the entry fee will not be refunded.
- Copyright in the story (or stories) remains with the entrant.
- The winning manuscripts will be published on the website with full acknowledgement given to the author.
The Judging Process:
- Judging is completely anonymous.
- The entrant’s name must not appear in the Word file or in the file name.
- The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into about the judgements or the judging process.
- Mary River Press Services reserves the right not to award a prize.
To be eligible, entrants must tick the declaration box on the competition entry form.
I hereby declare that the manuscript entered in the Mary River Press Services Prize is my own work, and has not been previously published, broadcast, or awarded. I have read all the terms and conditions and agree to abide by them.